What happened on a remarkable last night of the Championship season?

What happened on a remarkable last night of the Championship season?

Gerhard Struber led Barnsley to two wins from their final two games and survival

With something riding on all but one of the final 12 matches of the Championship season, it was always likely to be a rollercoaster ride to the finish.

But what happened over the course of a remarkable couple of hours on Wednesday will live long in the memory.

Here’s a round-up of how things went…


Leeds & West Brom

Baggies boss Slaven Bilic was drenched in fizz at full-time

Three teams remained in the race to join champions Leeds in the automatic promotion places. In the end it was second-placed West Bromwich Albion who had the mettle and stamina to hold off Brentford and Fulham.

The equation was a simple one – the Baggies had a one-point lead over Brentford and two over Fulham with a superior goal difference. The pressure was on the two west London clubs to better West Brom’s result and hope each other’s result went their way.

As it happened, all three sides went a goal down. First Wigan netted to go 1-0 up against Fulham, then QPR went in front against West Brom at The Hawthorns.

Brentford, who at that point were still goalless against relegation-threatened Barnsley and up to second, were unable to take advantage.

The Bees went behind to Callum Styles’ opener for the Tykes, and Grady Diangana levelled for West Brom in their game just before the break. Advantage Baggies.

Callum Robinson scored to put Slaven Bilic’s Albion ahead after half-time, but Eberechi Eze’s spectacular strike levelled for Rangers. At Wigan, Neeskens Kebano was levelling things up for Fulham.

Thomas Frank’s Brentford were the form team in recent weeks, winning eight games to propel themselves into the automatic mix before losing to Stoke on Saturday, and Josh Dasilva’s equaliser again handed them the initiative with 17 minutes to go. At this stage, all three promotion hopefuls were level, but it was still West Brom in second.

The crucial goal came at Griffin Park, but it was not for Brentford. Instead, in stoppage time Kenyan Clarke Oduor turned in Patrick Schmidt’s cross to stun the hosts, save Barnsley and make sure West Brom went back up to the Premier League after two seasons away.


Brentford, Fulham, Cardiff & Swansea

Swansea managed a six-goal swing to climb into the play-offs and dump Forest out

The race for the final couple of places in the play-offs was probably, beforehand, the least exciting facet of the final round. One to keep half an eye on. Nottingham Forest and Cardiff were pretty much there. Swansea were the rank outsiders. Or so we thought.

Steve Cooper’s side needed a victory and a six-goal swing to wrestle their way into the top six and were counting on already safe Stoke giving them a hand against Forest. The Potters did just that.

Forest began three points ahead of Swansea, but their 4-1 defeat by Stoke and the Swans’ own 4-1 win against Reading meant Forest dropped from fifth to seventh.

What began as an unlikely pursuit of a top-six place ended with that position assured and with a goal to spare as well.

Swansea finished sixth and will now meet Brentford in the play-off semi-finals, starting with the first leg at the Liberty Stadium on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Cardiff will welcome west London opposition themselves on Monday when they take on Fulham.

The Bluebirds beat Hull comfortably, who finished bottom, to ensure a place in

Real More »