on Friday virtually delivered the keynote address at this year’s
(ECOSOC). The annual High-level Segment convenes a diverse group of high-level representatives from government, private sector, civil society and academia. This was the first opportunity for PM to address the broader UN membership since India’s overwhelming election as a non-permanent member of the Security Council.
The theme of this year’s High-level Segment is “Multilateralism after Covid-19: What kind of UN do we need at the 75th anniversary”.
Here are the highlights from PM Modi’s address:* With our deep commitment to maintaining global harmony, to improving socio-economic equity, and to preserving nature’s balance, India will play its role in full support of the UN agenda.
* In our joint fight against Covid-19, we have extended medical and other assistance to over 150 countries.
* Today, through our domestic efforts, we are again playing a salient role in achieving ‘Agenda 2030’ and the sustainable development goals. We are also supporting other developing countries in meeting their sustainable development goals.
* Our motto is ‘Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikaas, Sabka Vishwas’ – meaning ‘Together, for everyone’s growth, with everyone’s trust’. This resonates with the core SDG principle of leaving no one behind.
* Last year, we celebrated the 150th birth anniversary of the Father of our Nation, Mahatma Gandhi, by achieving full sanitation coverage in our six hundred thousand villages.
* We have leveraged the power of technology for financial inclusion. This is based on the trinity of a unique identity number, a bank account, and a mobile connection for everyone.
* Our ‘housing for all’ programme will ensure that every Indian will have a safe and secure ro