Lionel Messi finished the La Liga season with the Pichichi trophy after his 25 goals, while he also registered 21 assists.
Those 21 assists broke a La Liga record which had previously been set by former teammate Xavi.
He also became first player in the history of La Liga to record 20 goals and 20 assists in a single season – a feat that only Thierry Henry has achieved this century in any top European league.
Considering he missed five matches through injury, it has to be regarded as a quite incredible campaign for the 33-year-old.
However, it was one of disappointment from the Argentine after his Barcelona side lost out in the La Liga title race to rivals Real Madrid.
After it was confirmed Real would be crowned champions,Messididn’t hold back in his post-match interview following Barca’s 2-1 loss to Osasuna.
“This game represents the entire year. We have been an erratic and weak team,” Messi said in the TV interview, just after the final whistle.
“Madrid did its part by winning all its matches, which is impressive, but we also helped them to win this league. We have to be critical of how we have played, starting with the players, and the rest of the club.
“We have lost because of our mistakes and not because of Madrid’s successes, as many say”
Barca did respond by beating Alaves 5-0 in their final game of the season with Messi scoring twice but it wouldn’t have done too much to cheer up the six-time Ballon d’Or.
And we’re about to pile on the misery for him.
That’s because, in a vote conducted byMarca, he lost out to Karim Benzema as La Liga’s best player of the season.
Benzema scored 21 goals in the league as Real won their first title in three years. And the Frenchman picked up 37% of the vote compared to Messi’s 31%.
Benzema’s captain, Sergio Ramos, came third with 14% of the vote.
Here were the results of the other votes:
- Best signing: Lucas Ocampo
- Worst signing: Luka Jovic
- Best U21 player: Martin Odegaard
- Best Spaniard: Sergio Ramos
- Best manager: Zinedine Zidane
- Biggest revelation: Granada
- Biggest disappointment: Valencia
- Best goalkeeper: Thibaut Courtois
- Best defender: Sergio Ramos
- Best midfielder: Casemiro
- Best striker: Karim Benzema
- France Football announce the Ballon d’Or will not be awarded in 2020
- 270 Bundesliga players take part in a survey – vote Messi as best player in the world
- Ronaldo vs Messi: The 30 greatest free-kick takers of all time named