NEW DELHI: India saw a record single-day jump of 29,429
, pushing its tally to 9,36,181 on Wednesday, while the death toll climbed to 24,309 with 582 new fatalities, according to the Union health ministry data.
This is the fourth consecutive day that COVID-19 cases have increased by more than 28,000. The number of recoveries stands at 5,92,031, while there are 3,19,840 active cases of
Here are the top developments:
- More than 3.2 lakh samples were tested for COVID-19 on Tuesday, the highest so far on a day, taking the cumulative number of tests conducted in the country till July 14 to 1,24,12,664, Indian Council of Medical Research officials said.
- According to the Union health ministry, the testing per million for India is consistently rising and has touched 8994.7 on Wednesday.
- The mantra to stay relevant in the rapidly changing business environment and market conditions is to “skill, re-skill and upskill”, Prime Minister Narendra Modi told the youth on Wednesday, noting that the need for it has become more important in times of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Addressing a virtual event to mark five years of the Skill India mission, he said skill is timeless and it keeps getting better with time and it makes you different from others.
- Claimed to be the world’s most affordable diagnostic kit for coronavirus, a low-cost test kit developed by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) was launched. According to IIT officials, the base price of the the RT-PCR assay developed by IIT Delhi is Rs 399. Even after adding the RNA isolation and laboratory charges, the cost per test will go upto Rs 650 and will be considerably cheaper compared to currently available kits in the market.
- The number of coronavirus cases in the central police forces under the command of the Union home ministry have gone over 7,000 with 242 fresh infections being reported today. The maximum cases at 2,229 has been recorded in the CRPF. This is followed by 2,093 cases in the BSF and 1,306 cases in the CISF.
- Delhi: With the Delhi government backing plasma therapy to reduce the COVID-19 death rate, the state-run Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital is soon going to launch a plasma bank which will be the third such facility in the national capital.
- Goa: A three-day lockdown with stricter provisions will be enforced in Goa from Friday in view of the rising number of COVID-19 cases in the state. Besides, there will also be a “Janata Curfew” in the state from 8pm to 6am every day with effect from Wednesday till August 10.
- Andhra: A new record high of 2,432 fresh cases of coronavirus were reported in Andhra Pradesh as the state’s aggregate shot past the 35,000 mark while 44 deaths took the overall toll in the state to 452.
- Assam: Several senior bureaucrats, including the Commissioner and Secretary to Assam Governor, have tested positive for COVID-19, officials said. At least five senior officials have tested positive for novel coronavirus in the last 2-3 days.
- Tamil Nadu: Sanction has been accorded to a trial by the Indian Council of Medical Research’s tuberculosis institute to study the efficacy of BCG vaccine in the elderly in the fight against COVID-19, the government said.
- Gujarat: Enough hospital beds are available for coronavirus patients in Surat which has been recording highest daily spike in cases among districts in Gujarat over the last few days. A new 1,000-bed facility would get ready by July 20 and another 800-bed facility would be up and running by August 15, said a senior official.
- Tripura: At least 90 fresh COVID-19 cases have been reported in Tripura raising the state’s virus count to 2,184. Altogether 1,538 persons have recovered from the disease and at present there are 630 active cases.
- Punjab: Chief minister Amarinder Singh tested negative for COVID-19, a day after one of his cabinet colleagues contracted the infection. Punjab Rural Development and Panchayats Minister Tript Rajinder Singh Bajwa tested positive for the novel coronavirus on Tuesday.
- Nagaland: Nagaland reported six new COVID-19 cases, taking the state’s tally to 902. Of the total 902 COVID-19 cases, 554 are active as 348 people have recovered from the disease.
- Puducherry: Chief minister V Narayanasamy made out a strong case that the Centre should ease the COVID-19 lockdown curbs and allow resumption of tourism activities in the Union territory to boost the revenue.
- UP: Twenty-nine persons died of COVID-19 while 1,659 more tested positive for the disease in Uttar Pradesh, raising the fatalities to 1,012 and number of infected cases to 41,383 in the state.
- Karnataka: Amid complaints of difficulty in getting beds for COVID-19 patients, the Karnataka government issued a not