* Total cases: 33,87,500 with 77,266 cases reported in last 24 hours
Total deaths: 61,529 with 1,057 dying in last 24 hours
Total fatality rate: 1.82 per cent
Total recoveries: 25,83,948 with 60,177 recovering in the last 24 hours
Total recovery rate: 76.28 per cent
* Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Friday urged the government to listen to the voices of students on the issue of conducting NEET and JEE and act according to their wishes. Due to the pandemic and floods, various opposition parties have demanded that NEET and JEE be deferred, even as the Union government has made it clear that the entrance exams will be held as per schedule with due precautions. Read more
* Tamil Nadu Congress Committee working president and Congress MP from Kanyakumari H Vasanthakumar died of Covid-19 on Friday evening while undergoing treatment in Chennai’s Apollo Hospitals. He was 70. Vasanthakumar was admitted to hospital on August 10. PM Modi also offered his condolences to the deceased MP’s family. Read more
* Asian and Commonwealth Games gold-winning wrestler Vinesh Phogat tests positive for Covid-19.
* The Union Health Ministry said that the early focus on surveillance and contact tracing through house-to-house survey along with an increase in testing helped increase the gap between recoveries and active cases which now stands at 18,41,925 cases. Read more
* Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla on Friday requested all Members of Parliament (MPs) to get tested for coronavirus 72 hours before start of Monsoon Session. Arrangements for conducting Covid-19 test will also be made on Parliament premises.
* Amid rising concerns about increasing Covid-19 deaths in some states, the Centre has asked nine states and one Union Territory – that together contributed 89% of total Covid-19 casualties in the last two weeks – to take proactive steps to limit transmission of the infection and reduce fatalities to less than 1% across all districts. Read more
* Covid-19 antibodies may not last more than a couple of months, according to a study carried out on affected healthcare staff of JJ Group of Hospitals. None of the 28 tested showed any antibodies in a sero survey done in June. Read more
* The Supreme Court on Thursday sought responses from the Union and state governments on a PIL seeking a shift in the education policy to focus on digitally empowering students, especially those in the 6-14 year category and from s